Thursday 13 December 2012


“IT’S EVENTS, DEAR BOY, EVENTS!   THAT’S WHAT’S THE TROUBLE.”   SAID HAROLD MCMILLAN

Today I have weighed out the fruit and nuts for three Christmas cakes.   This I have done every December for as long as I can remember.   Why three?   I rather stupidly keep up the habit of helping out my two daughters at this busy time of year.   Especially busy as we all know for housewives and working mothers.   So I have weighed out the dried fruit and added a little brandy to each bowl.   I’m doing this year’s baking in stages.   First stage:  concentrate on the task until you’re fed up, or until you wish to make the lunch for two, do the ironing (much needed task) or go on line and write a topical blog!   Well it will be short this time, I promise.

Talking about teachers, I heard briefly on the radio that Michael Gove is prodding and provoking teachers in England about their proposed work-to-rule because of a deterioration in their working conditions.   He has suggested that head teachers should dock the pay of their teachers if they consider they have not stayed clear of any such disruptive action in school.   One pundit on the page I was reading suggested that Gove’s plan was to provoke an all-out strike of teachers, in order to divert attention away from the government and all the things going wrong for David Cameron and his friends.   It was suggested that the newspapers would love such an event as a school strike.   They could get their teeth into that.

Meanwhile the Daily Telegraph seems to be getting its teeth into the Culture Secretary, Maria Miller, who it has been revealed had some claims for alleged expenses for housing.  Ninety thousand pounds is the sum I read about.   We shall await the result of the enquiry proposed.   She is the person in the government who has deal with the newspaper editors after the report of the Leveson Inquiry into ‘phone-hacking and the rest.   How will she cope?   Is this for Cameron, a case of “Another one bites the dust”?

We have got used to the accusations for the government of their Minishambolic governing methods.   But how about the new phrase of some politicians, imported from the USA, about their ‘shovel-ready’ projects which would encourage growth in our country.   And David Osborne who is keen on helping ‘strivers’ and loves ‘hard-working’ families.   Out of my sight you ‘medium-working’ families!   And as for you non-employed idiots – I despair of you!”   At least, I think that’s what some of our ‘leaders’ think.

On a lighter note, I heard in an advertisement on TV that a great CD for Christmas is called something  like “Now that’s what I call Christmas”.   I think I will seek it out.   I need cheering up!   On the home front, last night in bed, I got exasperated with my pyjama trousers as they do not turn with me when I turn in bed.   Gerald riposted that he had the same problem.   “I am going back to nightgowns”, I said.   “Maybe I’ll get one for you, Gerald.   And a little matching nightcap.   That would suit fine!”   So I leave you with that strange image.   “Gerald in a nightgown and still going strong!”   Don’t eat too much Christmas Cake this year, and behave yourselves, just like I always do!   And a very merry Christmas, and a happy NewYear!!!


1 comment:

rettchr said...

To you Margaret and Gerald and the entire clan, Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.